About the job
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Regional Director of Finance and Operations determines and implements accounting, purchasing, and operational standards for MSH’s global portfolio of projects. The role is accountable for continually improving compliance and reducing organizational exposure to risk by establishing systems and procedures that ensure adherence to standards by project teams. Serves as the liaison between HQ Accounting and field operations, and creates synergies between HQ Accounting, Treasury, FP&A, and project teams. Leads and/or provides mentorship to members of MSH’s Shared Services Management Unit team.
Oversight of field financial and accounting management, procurement, compliance, and risk
- Develop, implement, and monitor global accounting and procurement standards for all countries in MSH’s global portfolio
- Establish systems in each country to ensure that compliant accounting operations are maintained and staff act in full compliance with local laws, comply with the terms and conditions of contract/award and donor requirements, and comply with MSH policies and standard operating procedures
- Oversee HQ purchasing activities supporting Field and HQ locations, projects and departments
- Conduct investigations as needed
- Accountable for ensuring timely and accurate submission of financial reports and other related information
- Manage MSH’s Quickbooks financial management system across all countries. Maintain account translation between Quickbooks and Costpoint.
- Collaborate with HQ Accounting and FP&A teams on monthly close process. Accountable for the timely and accurate transfer of financial information from Quickbooks to Costpoint.
- Ensure that small projects, projects undergoing start-up or close-out, and projects experiencing staffing gaps receive financial management support as needed
Continuous process improvement
- Work with project teams and other FAO staff in the assessment and implementation of systemic business process improvements that promote greater efficiency and enhance internal controls
- Lead the development and implementation of operational improvements and initiatives related to both cash and financial risk management
- Proactively engage in solving problems through close collaboration with FAO colleagues, project leadership, and project accounting staff; oversee action plans.
Strategic advisor to HQ and project leadership
- Serve as a consultant to HQ and project leadership as it relates to field financial management, risk, and compliance
- Build the local capacity of project leadership to effectively provide financial management oversight, manage compliance and risk, monitor budgets, and understand financial accounting
- Directly manage the procurement team and accounting staff in the Shared Services Management Unit. Indirectly provide leadership to field finance, accounting, and/or operations staff
- Build a highly effective team through ongoing training, performance management, development, and mentoring.
REQUIRED MINIMUM EXPERIENCE
Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in accounting, including leadership and management of Accounting functions or teams.
REQUIRED MINIMUM EDUCATION
Minimum of a master’s degree in business administration, financial management, accounting, or other relevant discipline or equivalent experience.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Demonstrated success in managing finance and/or accounting functions in challenging environments
- Experience working for international organizations with US Government funding. Prior work experience with non-USG, foundations, and other donors a plus
- Deep knowledge of effective management practices that lead to reliable internal controls and compliance with donor regulations, local laws, and USAID policies and procedures required
- Demonstrated experience working with senior and executive leadership to develop strategies and implement initiatives to further the goals of the organization
- Strong leadership, mentoring, management, analytical and organizational skills
- Strong conceptualization, facilitation, and planning skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as oral presentation skills
- Strong cross-cultural communication and active listening skills
- Proficiency with Quickbooks required
- Experience with Deltek Costpoint preferred
- Fluency in English required. French language proficiency a plus
- Ability to understand, organize, and update accounting software applications or databases, and is comfortable maximizing systems to automate and improve accounting processes.
- Ability to work under pressure with a positive attitude, remain focused on results, and respond to changing priorities
- Ability to work in a diverse organization and communicate effectively with all levels in the organization
- Must be adaptable, collaborative, and a problem-solver.