As a solar technician, you will be responsible for installing and servicing solar panels and inverter on buildings and land to ensure they efficiently convert solar power into renewable energy. Most of your work as a solar installer will be outdoors and at height.
The job role of a solar technician involves the following duties:
- Assessing locations to ensure they are suitable for solar panels
- Measuring up areas for installation
- Making adjustments to building surfaces so panels fit and are adequately supported
- Installing and maintaining solar panels on homes, business premises or open land
Connecting solar panels to an electrical system.
- Grounding electrical equipment and checking wiring .
- Adhering to strict health and safety guidelines
- Performing maintenance checks and fixing solar panels
- Using a variety of technical equipment and tools
Additional skills which may benefit anyone considering a job as a solar technician include:
- Knowledge of electrical systems
- Good maths skills
- Design skills and understanding
- Good attention to detail
- Analytical thinking skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.